The mill at Dights Falls
In the 1840s, an artificial weir was built on the natural bar of basalt boulders to provide water to the “Ceres” flour mill, one of the first in Victoria. Situated by the Yarra River in Collingwood is the industrial relic known locally as “Dight’s Mill”, one of Melbourne’s oldest and most significant industrial sites. In the early 1840s John Dight established Melbourne’s first water-powered flour mill on the site. In 1888 ‘Yarra Falls Roller Mills’ built a water-turbine powered mill, which was the largest and most sophisticated of the thirty two water powered mills built in Victoria before 1900.